This morning Chad and I and a bunch of our good friends ran the 2011 Marine Corps Run Amuck 3.5 mile race. It wasn't just a normal 3.5 miles; it was full of obstacles and mud pits and a few physical fitness stations (10 jumping jacks and 10 flutter kicks at different parts of the trail). The race was Bonnie's idea. I normally hate running and haven't done it much at all since I had knee surgery 6 years ago. Usually races are the last thing I'm interested in, but playing in the mud - I'm interested in! I thought the course would be a lot of fun with all of the obstacles and mud pits and that since it was designed as more of a fun and silly race it would be one that I could do slowly (because of my knees), but still enjoy. I have never done a race before, so I was really excited to do this one - especially since Chad has been doing triathlons, half ironmans, and is signed up for an ironman in September. I'm feeling a little lazy and out of shape compared to him! I have also enjoyed the excitement of being at his races and wanted to do one of my own. Last night as I was setting my alarm for 4:30 in the morning I started to doubt my sanity when I signed up for this race. I hate running and I hate getting up early, and I had just paid to do both. I really enjoyed the race though and am 100% glad I did it! It was so much fun, especially to do with so many of our good friends! Luckily Chad convinced me to actually let him bring the camera on the run and we got some awesome pictures. I was worried the camera would get ruined in the water and mud, but we kept it safe!
Starting the Race
"Tough tire dash" and "heartless hay bale maze"
Jogging on the trail and mud pit #1
"Strenuous spider web" (not very strenuous - all you had to do was run under the string), and mud pit #2. Chad's shoe got stuck in this mud pit and he had to go back for it. By the time he got his shoe back on, his sock was so muddy he just threw it away.
This is just a big puddle on one side of the trail (and an example of the many others like it). Most people ran around it, but Bonnie and I made a point to run through them. The more mud, the better!
After the second mud pit, we decided that when we got to the last one our goal would be to have fun getting as muddy as possibly - hopefully completely covered. So the first thing we did when we got to the pit was dive in face and stomach first. Then were repeated this several times. Chad's entire head and most of his body are under the mud in the bottom right picture (below in the group of 4) - you can just see his leg sticking out. The picture on the top left is the three of us girls just coming out of the mud after our first dive, and the right is us diving. I think we all accomplished our goal. :) I got a ton of mud in my contact while playing in this pit (including mud chunks) and my contact almost came out. That would have made for a rough finish! After the mud pit, there was a "cruel clamber up a cargo net" It was really a steep hill that had so much slippery mud on it you did have to crawl to get up.
Chad rinsing off at the "forceful fire truck spray".
Bonnie and I crossing the finish line!
Chad and I at the finish line
Here's Chad and I before the race and then very near the end (after the 3rd mud pit and before the fire truck spray.
This is our group before the race - clean, dry, and excited! The picture on the right is after the race - still excited, but VERY dirty and soaking wet! Unfortunately, we took this picture after we had all been sprayed off by the fire truck so we didn't look as dirty as we did before, but our clothes and faces are still caked in mud.
5 comments:
Great blog post, Michelle! And I'm very glad you talked me into running amuck -- it was tons of fun!
Looks like fun! I've heard of various races like this recently... warrior dashes, mud manias... how fun. Maybe I need to try one!
looks like a blast! We may have to try it next year!
Great pictures! We had a blast, thanks for finding out about the race.
What a fun race! It's so neat to read about what you guys are up to. Congrats on becoming Alumni for Teach for America - looks like life is very exciting and going great for you guys!
Post a Comment