Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The National Arboretum


Michelle and I visited the U.S. National Arboretum last week with our good friends the Hammocks. We were really excited to see this place because none of us had been there and it had been a long time since we visited a new place here in D.C. The National Arboretum is gorgeous. It is also huge. We only walked through the most well-known parts of the place, but I think you could easily spend an entire day there.

One of our favorite parts was the exhibition on Bonsai trees. I learned a lot about these little trees and I kind of want to 'train' one myself. I didn't know that any type of tree can be grown to be a miniature bonsai; I just thought bonsai trees were their own unique type of tree. If I ever did grow a bonsai tree I think I would choose an apple tree, mostly to find out if it would grow miniature apples that you could eat. The following are some of our favorite pictures (as well as the one above), all taken by none other than Chance Hammock:




It was really really hot the day we went, and I had gone on a 112 mile bike road earlier in the morning so this is what I did to help cool off:

1 comment:

Chance said...

thanks for the shout out!

I think training a Bonsai would be a really fun experiment. Then again, I think it may be an experiment in patience since it seems like they take so long to get huge like that!