Tuesday, May 26, 2009

We hit a deer on the freeway last night

Last night, on our way home from Montreal, we hit a deer while we were driving on the freeway. It was one of the craziest and saddest things that has ever happened to me. We were about 17 mils away from home, and it was about 9:15 at night. It was totally dark and we were on a smaller highway in upstate New York so it was really dark and we were in a wooded area. The instant that I saw the deer was the same instant that it ran in front of my car and I immediately slammed on the breaks. I had maybe a half second or a third of a second to even process what I was seeing, so needless to say there was no time to avoid hitting it. It flew straight up when I hit it, and Michelle and I both saw the deer literally flying straight up, upside down. It landed in front of the car and sadly we ran over it. The whole ordeal was maybe a second. After it happened we immediately pulled over, called 911, and said a prayer of thanks that Michelle and I were both fine. Another car pulled over to make sure we were fine. When the guy in the other car found out we were fine he took off almost right away because the scene was so gross and already smelled awful. I could see the deer, it was right next to my side of the car when we were pulled over. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. I thought about taking a picture of it...but my better judgment convinced me that nobody would ever want to see it. I did take pictures of the car though. I got two estimates today, both were over $7,000. I guess that is why you have car insurance (we would be in big trouble if car insurance didn't exist). I guess this is also why you are supposed to keep an emergency fund saved in a savings account of somewhere like that. It is ironic that we had such a good time in Canada over Memorial Day weekend and finished it off with this experience. It is even more ironic that we went to such great lengths to save money while in Canada and then had this happen and will have to pay for our large deductible for our car insurance. We bought a bunch of food at Wal-Mart before we left to go to Canada and then took it all in an ice chest. I am proud to say that we did not spend a single penny on food on our entire trip in Canada. That was our goal. Little did we know this would happen. We had a great time in Canada, and I will write more about that in a later post. In the mean time, enjoy these pictures.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow guys, that really sucks! Glad you guys are ok!

Becky said...

Glad you guys are alright - how scary!

melancholyjune said...

Yikes! glad you are ok

Jenny said...

WHAT! 7000! That is INSANE! Go on ebay and buy a new hood it cant be that much! geez! It also sux that it happened just minutes before you guys made it home- it seems like that always happens! my brother in law and sister were on their way home from an 8 hour drive and of course they hit a deer just five minutes from home ugh! They barely made it home before the explorer gave out. (which i guess in a way it was a blessing) but why did that dang ol deer have to cross the road anyway in the first place!