Michelle and I went to Palmyra, NY today and ended up staying there for eight hours! Our friends here in Syracuse will probably not find this too interesting since everyone has been to Palmyra numerous times probably and visited all the sites, but hopefully our friends out West can enjoy this post. For those who are not familiar with Palmyra, it is the city where the Book of Mormon was found in a hill and then published, it is where Joseph Smith lived, and it is very close to where the Church was organized and legally established. Michelle and I went to the temple (that is also in Palmyra) and decided we would visit all of the Church's historical sites while we were there. There are about 6 places to go, and all of them are within a few miles of each other with one exception. Despite having lived here for almost a year we hadn't visited all of the historical places and we didn't want to move back West in a couple months and then realize we had missed our chance to visit the amazing places that we read about all the time (and especially while we were so close). So we started our day early and decided we would go to every place on the list. After our first stop to the Book of Mormon's publication site Michelle and I both realized we had terribly misjudged how long our day was going to be. I thought you just went to a little old printing press where they published the book and would be in and out real quick. I was wrong. We went on an hour and fifteen minute tour. It was nice, I just had no idea how long it was going to take. Then we visited Alvin Smith's grave and the Martin Harris farm. Next we went to the Sacred Grove, walked around, and also got a tour of the Smith Family farm. Next we went to Hill Cumorah and at this point we decided to run up the hill to save time. It's a deceivingly steep hill...so we only actually ran for about five seconds. After getting to the top and taking a few pictures we did run down the hill though. Finally, we went to the Church's organization site, the Whitmer farm. Somehow we spent eight hours in Palmyra, the city is tiny. We are both so tired and feel like we don't need to go do any more sight seeing in Palmyra for quite a long time.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
I'm all Palmyra'd Out
Michelle and I went to Palmyra, NY today and ended up staying there for eight hours! Our friends here in Syracuse will probably not find this too interesting since everyone has been to Palmyra numerous times probably and visited all the sites, but hopefully our friends out West can enjoy this post. For those who are not familiar with Palmyra, it is the city where the Book of Mormon was found in a hill and then published, it is where Joseph Smith lived, and it is very close to where the Church was organized and legally established. Michelle and I went to the temple (that is also in Palmyra) and decided we would visit all of the Church's historical sites while we were there. There are about 6 places to go, and all of them are within a few miles of each other with one exception. Despite having lived here for almost a year we hadn't visited all of the historical places and we didn't want to move back West in a couple months and then realize we had missed our chance to visit the amazing places that we read about all the time (and especially while we were so close). So we started our day early and decided we would go to every place on the list. After our first stop to the Book of Mormon's publication site Michelle and I both realized we had terribly misjudged how long our day was going to be. I thought you just went to a little old printing press where they published the book and would be in and out real quick. I was wrong. We went on an hour and fifteen minute tour. It was nice, I just had no idea how long it was going to take. Then we visited Alvin Smith's grave and the Martin Harris farm. Next we went to the Sacred Grove, walked around, and also got a tour of the Smith Family farm. Next we went to Hill Cumorah and at this point we decided to run up the hill to save time. It's a deceivingly steep hill...so we only actually ran for about five seconds. After getting to the top and taking a few pictures we did run down the hill though. Finally, we went to the Church's organization site, the Whitmer farm. Somehow we spent eight hours in Palmyra, the city is tiny. We are both so tired and feel like we don't need to go do any more sight seeing in Palmyra for quite a long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment