Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Niagara Falls

Michelle and I had a great time visiting Niagara Falls this last weekend. We went with our friends from the ward Dan and Jenny (and Dan is my MPA program as well). We left on Friday and camped at a place called Daisy Barn, which was basically like 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. It was fun to eat smores and roast weeners, etc. We also threw the frisbee around. Michelle and I have been trying to get a good frisbee since we got here so were happy to finally get one. I had a brilliant idea to play frisbee across the pond at Daisy Barn camping grounds. I threw the frisbee across the pond just fine...but eventually someone who threw it was not able to clear the pond. I will not say who...it was just someone i was playing frsibee with. So it took like 45 minutes to get it out, it was pretty funny. Its all good, we got the frisbee out as good as new. It was like the frisbee got a bath. Michelle and I decided to sleep outside on an air mattress. It was great weather: warm, clear skies. But at around five in the morning probably Michelle woke me up because it was starting to drizzle a little. I basically just ignored her or worse (in my half asleep state i may have actually just told her "no...lets just stay out here"). Anyways, after another half hour the rain woke me up and i told her we should go in the tent where Dan and Jenny were. The drizzle had turned to rain so we went in the tent, and it is good that we did because I could hear it really coming down on the tent. At any rate, it was fun to sleep outside. It was very calm and peaceful, and you could see stars and the trees. I could do it every night i think. The only downside is that when we got back to our house in Syracuse I noticed something was very wrong with my feet. Michelle counted somehting like 30 or 40 bug bites on the tops and bottoms of my feet. Yes, the bottoms of my feet, Weird huh? We beleive the diagnosis is Chiggers. A bug out in the south and east. Chiggers suck...they itch like crazy and burn like they're on fire if you start to scratch them. They appear to be srpeading, i think they may still be alive in my skin and eating me. I took an oatmeal bath to help, but i don't know how much it did. Anyways, back to Niagara Falls. It was cool to see this historic and cultural icon of our country. It is another place i can say i have been. There are basically three huge waterfalls that fall down into a river. On one side of the river is the US and on the other side is Canada. So i can say i have seen Canada, but i have not yet been there. We will need to go back with our birth certificates to be able to get into Canada and come back without problems. The picture at the top is at the bottom of the actual falls. We paid extra to be able to go down there. It was insanely windy and powerful. They make you wear sandals that they give you. We both got pretty wet. The picture above is not even that close to the actual spot where the waterfalls land in the river. We did go up there, but there is no way you could take out a camera and take a picture without ruining your camera. It would have been like throwing your camera in the ocean. So it is tuesday and i still have all kinds of Chigger bites...and they are either spreading or I am just noticing new ones. We will see what happens. Maybe i will post pictures of the Chigger bites.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have chiggers here too, someone told us to put nail polish on them and that kills them and helps with the itch...Just a little future side note!