Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kinetic Half Ironman Triathlon

I participated in and completed the Kinetic Half Ironman Triathlon on Saturday.  The race was at Lake Anna State Park in Spotsylvania, VA.  This is the same place where I did my very first Triathlon last year, the 'Rumpas in Bumpas.'  My only real goal was to finish the race in a better time than I did my first Half Ironman in New York last year.  I finished the Kinetic Half on Saturday in 5 hours and 16 minutes, which was over an hour faster than my time last year so this was a great success for me. 

This race was the first open water swim of the year for me so it was a little bit tough at first but I completed the 1.2 mile swim okay.  Then it was on to the 56 mile bike ride where I biked at an average of 20.6 miles an hour and finished the ride in a time of 2 hours and 43 minutes.  I consider anything over 20 mph a great time.  To top things off and make the race a great success, I ran the last leg of the race -- the half marathon, which is 13.1 miles -- in 1 hour and 49 minutes.  My legs withstood the biking and running and I even picked up the pace for the last couple miles of the half marathon.  I think all the effort I have put into improving my running skills has paid off. 

The following are pictures in chronological order of the race day, beginning with a volunteer marking my race number on my arm and ending with me crossing the finish line.  Special thanks to my mom who is in town visiting and helping us out right now and woke up at 3:00 am with me to drive to the race and take all these pictures!

Overall it was a great race. I had a great time and scored a new personal best at this distance and at each of the individual legs of the race.


Getting my number written on my arms and legs.


 Putting a wetsuit on is quite an ordeal; and if you don't get it just right, it will be too tight or too lose somewhere on your body and you will be uncomfortable for the duration of the swim.


Still working on the wetsuit... 



I was in the first wave of swimmers to start off the race.  Here we were walking to the beach to get ready to start. 



This is my favorite picture that my mom took.  I think it captures the excitement and energy of all the Triathletes as we start the race.  You actually can spot me pretty easily because my wetsuit is somewhat unique.  My wetsuit has orange sleeves on the inner parts of my arms and a little bit of orange on the upper back.  I am in the center and to the left



Starting out the bike ride. 



 On my bike, ready to go.



 Nearing the end of the 56 mile bike ride.



 2 legs of the race down, just a half marathon left!



This is me about to cross the finish line at 5 hours and 16 minutes.  

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You're so awesome! I'm so sad I couldn't be there!