Sunday, October 26, 2008

Primary

I am currently a primary teacher in our ward. I teach the five year olds. There are usually around eight in my class. Today was our primary program. It went pretty well. The kids had a hard time sitting still and didn't always want to sing the songs, but everyone still enjoyed it I think. Today was my second day of teaching my class. It went a lot better this time. Last time they were out of control and it was really hard to get them to listen and participate. I came home pretty discouraged. This time they were better in singing time. They sang almost all the songs and weren't quite as wild. They also walked quietly to class. When we first got to our classroom they were out of control again and were running around screaming. For a second I couldn't get them to stop. They were just completely ignoring me, but then we played Simon Says and that got all of their attention. Then Simon told them to sit down, fold their arms, and listen quietly, so they calmed down. Then before starting the lesson we talked about the rules for the class and why it was important to follow them and be reverent. For the most part, my class was relatively reverent and they listened to the stories, answered the questions, and participated in the activities. I felt much better about teaching after today. I think the big difference is that I relied a lot more on God this week. After the first time teaching I knew that I was really going to need His help and that I needed to do more than just pray for the spirit. I needed to humble myself so that I could be teachable and realize that I could not teach this class on my own. I then continued to pray that the Lord would teach me how to teach these children so that they could understand how much God loves them and how to choose the right. He truly answered my prayers and I am so thankful. I know that if we pray in faith and trust in the Lord that He will help us and lead and guide us in everything we do. Even though it is still a challenge and takes a lot of work, I am really enjoying this calling.

2 comments:

Kristi the Book Lady said...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and testimony. I taught primary for almost 3 years - so I totally know how you must be feeling. It's difficult and frustrating some weeks, and so rewarding and fulfilling the rest of the time. You are doing the right thing by seeking the Lord; He will definitely make it a lot easier!

Becky said...

Let me begin by saying - I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! You are doing such a great job, Michelle. You have such a sweet spirit about you and you are SO patient! Keep being you - thanks for all you do. XOXO --Becky

PS. Can't remember how I got to your blog but I hope you don't think I'm weird for looking at it!!