Sunday, October 23, 2011

Early To Bed, Early To Rise

Last week I was able to wake up early every day of the week and go running before I got ready for and biked in to work. I think I have just about gotten my body used to doing this. I have had to wake up between 5:10 and 5:30 each morning, depending on how many miles I was going to run, to be able to do this with enough time before work.

To my surprise, it is actually not as tough to get up as I thought it would be. It basically all just boils down to going to bed early enough for my body to not go into shock when the alarm goes off at 5:30 (or earlier). I have to say though, I really really really like the way I feel going to bed early and getting up early and getting something so important to me done every day before I even go to work. It makes me feel like each day is going to be very productive when I am able to get a run in first thing in the morning.

I think I have learned another valuable life lesson. I have learned that if there is something I really want to get done, my best chance of making it happen is to do it in the morning before work. Since I bike to and from work and get tired doing that, and sometimes have stressful days at work, if I haven't done my run in the morning the likelihood of me doing it after work just keeps going down as the day progresses -- it's much safer to just make the sacrifice and wake up early. My total mileage this week between my early morning runs and my long run on Saturday was 26.

No comments: