I have completed my second century (100 mile bike ride). I did it on the Washington & Old Dominion trail, which is the same trail I did my first century on. This trail is a lot of fun, and it goes through a lot of really gorgeous areas. Now that it is warming up, and there is no ice or snow on any parts of the trail, my second century was a lot more enjoyable than the first; I didn't go numb in either or my hands or feet this time so that is definitely a good thing!
I improved my time tremendously on this century. I did this century in 6 hours and 11 minutes, compared to 7 1/2 hours on the first century. In other words I shaved off well over an hour off my first century. I did push myself, and I was very sore afterward, but that is how you get stronger! I completed the first half of this century in 2 hours and 56 minutes, but didn't finish until 6 ohurs and 11 minutes. Thus, it took me 15 minutes longer to do the second 50 miles. I think I can live with that, considering I was really feeling it in my legs and back on the way home. I think I have progressed in the sport of cycling enough that to be able to continue to progress as much as I want to and be able to be able to complete a half Ironman (this fall hopefully) and eventually a full Ironman (sometime next year hopefully), I am going to need to invest in a much nicer bike. This is a good thing and a bad thing. It is good because I would love to have a nicer bike, but the bad thing is that they can get really expensive really quickly. I used to think I would sell my current bike but after talking to enough cyclists I think I have decided to keep it for rides when I know the conditions will be bad and when I will need to lock it up (so as to not take any chances with your nicer bike).
The picture above is of me on the Washington & Old Dominion trail on my most recent century. I took it myself so I had to stay focused on the trail. I was planning on filming and talking into the camera a lot during the ride and thus documenting how I was feeling and how it was going, but I couldn't find the battery charger and the battery barely lasted long enough to take a few pictures. Next time I will definitely bring a charged camera and document the experience; or better yet, maybe I will buy a camera that you mount to your helmet or shirt - that might be fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment