Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Holiday Crafts

These are the original blocks.
Around Christmas time my good friend Jenny and I found these Christmas blocks at Costco for $4.  There are 9 blocks inside that can be used to spell all kinds of Christmas words.  Jenny had the great idea to buy several sets and redo them for all of the different holidays and seasons. Jenny, Tana, and I have had a lot of fun working on these together and shopping for additional decorations.  To make the blocks we first painted the them white. Then we decoupaged scrapbooking paper onto the blocks and used Jenny's cricket to cut out letters to decoupage onto the block. So far I have done it for Valentines Day, St. Paticks Day, and Fourth of July. Pictures are below. It was a lot of fun and I am excited to do more!
To make the block on the far right I just bought some cute Valentine's stickers and stuck them onto a piece of scrapbooking paper and then decoupaged over the top.  A very inexpensive and cute decoration!

I found this pink cup at Michael's for $1 and the hearts on sale after Valentines day for around 25 cents each.  Then I wrapped leftover scrapbooking paper around the cup and stuck the hearts into craft foam covered in pink tissue paper.  It was a fun and very inexpensive decoration to make!  Next Valentines Day I plan to put chocolate kisses all around the cup.  With Chad's sweet tooth though, I better have a pretty big stash on hand!
This will be my Valentine's door hanging - only $5 and it matches the other decorations perfectly!  Since this was so cheap I actually bought 2 and took the second one apart to use for decorations inside.

These are for the fourth of July. I had originally planned to but blue star paper behind the letters, but decided I like this better.
I printed this cool subway art (in the frame) from online.  It also matches perfectly.

I also printed this St. Patrick's day subway art from online and put it in the frame. Then I bought these cute clovers, hat, and pot of gold for 99 cents and stuck them in some craft foam - Jenny's idea.

Here are my St. Patrick's day blocks (which are actually the back of my Valentine's blocks).  Next to them is my pot of gold. It's actually a flower pot that I painted black and filled with gold coins and soon chocolate with gold wrappers. This was also Jenny's idea.  Where would I be without her? I don't think I'd have any decorations - thanks Jenny!  The "leprechaun" next to the pot of gold was actually my idea.  It was just a little green jar I got at the dollar store and then hot glued the hat on. Then I used Jenny's buttons for the eyes and a heart sticker for the lips.  Then we fan folded green paper for arms and used four leaf clovers for hands. I plan to fill it with green jelly beans or m&m's soon.  Jenny made the cute "Kiss Me, I'm Irish!" sign next to him. There's a better picture below.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

These are SOOOO CUTE MICHELLE! All of your creations turned out awesome! Ive been looking for some gold coins where did you buy all those coins for 99 cents? See you guys this Sat!

Jenny @ An Apple for the Crafter said...

Thanks for giving me so much credit Michelle! You rock and your decor looks awesome. People can always check out some of my other crazy ideas at
AnApplefortheCrafter.blogspot.com

Kristi the Book Lady said...

Those are awesome, Michelle! Thanks for posting these great ideas - I need to get making some of those cute blocks!

Michelle said...

Thanks everyone. Jenny, I just got the blocks at a dollar store near the Michael's in Alexandria. Can't wait to see you Saturday!