Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A man who ran under the banner of change and whose citizenship was questioned


I just found out about this today after doing some reading, it is really too funny or ironic or coincidental or scary or something. From the years 1990 to 2000, the president of Peru (where I served my mission) was named Alberto Fujimori. Like most Peruvian Presidents, he had many scandals and severe problems during his presidency. During his presidency, he performed a coup on his own country's congress to get rid of opposition, he went through a scathing bitter divorce and he consequently named his eldest daughter 'First Lady,' through changes in the constitution and some finagling with the courts he ran for and won a third term as president even though the constitution was only allowed two terms, and he was essentially exiled from the country during his third term when the legislature performed a vote of no confidence while he was abroad in Brunei (so he just never went home and insted moved to Tokyo where he had dual citizenship). He never tried to go back to Peru until 2005 when for some narcissistic reason he thought he might have a shot at the upcoming presidential election. So he flew in to South America thorugh Chile, I suppose in an effort to 'test the waters' of his political viability (he couldn't just go straight to Peru because there were all kinds of warrants out for his arrest for all kinds of mony embezzlement i think). To make a long story short, he was convicted today of human rights violations from acts committed during his presidecny and sentenced to 25 years. Oh yeah I should mention one more thing...his slogan in 1990 was 'Change,' and he won the presidency primarily out of disgust with the then current preisdent Alan Garcia. You could say it was something of a referendum on the Garcia presidencia (haha, I really typed that on accident-I mean presidency). Sound familiar? Ironically, there was controversy over whether Fujimori was born in Peru Japan. There were conflicting stories and reports from the embassies and stuff like that. While I was in Peru a lot of people beleived he was not actually born in Peru and therefore would not constiutionally be eligible to be president (just like in the U.S.). Alright here is where it actually gets funny: Alan Garcia was actually able to win back the presidency after all the Fujimori scandal and Fujimori eventually leaving the country (Garcia is currently the president). So if this pattern hold true for our country, which it would seem it could because of all the parallel characteristics, Geroge W. Bush will run for and win back the White House in 2016 after Barack Obama has been in for two and possibly part of a third term. OK I am just kidding and I don't think there is actually any way that could ever happen in a million years, but I thought it would be funny to wright about.

No comments: