Friday, March 20, 2009

Craig's List is so cool!


Our apartment feels a bit emptier right now than it did 15 minutes ago. That is because we just sold our TV to someone by posting it for sale on Craig's List. Michelle and I are quite proud of the fact that we got $100 for the TV. I think we did well and the person who bought it did well because the TV, despite being a 5 year old tube tv (that means it is one of the huge ones and goes back far behind the screen) it was in perfect condition and I included a remote control, an antenna that i bought, and the digital converter box that i bought. As some of you may know, Michelle and I have set a lofty goal to be able to move from Syracuse to wherever it is we go without having to mail or ship anything. In other words, we need to sell or donate everything that we can't fit in my little car. We think we can achieve our goal by starting early. A few months ago I sold my computer desk through craig's list, we have thus far returned 2 of our 4 air filters to Wal-Mart (who is merciful enough to us poor college students to let us return them...they are expensive), and today we sold our TV. You may be wondering why we want to sell all our things. The answer is complicated. Basically, the stuff we have here is not really our nice things. We have a nice bed and some nice furniture that we left in Utah when we moved here. We did bring and send some things out here like the TV but most of our furniture and stuff that we have out here we have obtained out here. We got most of it for free or for pretty cheap from members of our ward. We decided that for the price it would cost to ship things somewhere, we would be better off just selling everything here and getting our stuff back from Utah and then buying/finding whatever we still need. But this brings me to my next point: we don't know where we are going to go. We want to be able to be mobile in case I get a job offer somewhere and we need to move out quick (and I don't think any employer is going to pay for us to move out anywhere). Also, we are considering just moving to one of our family's houses or moving back to Utah or something but that may not be permanent either. We are anxious to leave Syracuse and we might move somewhere where we would be closer to friends and family even if I don't have a job there. So if we did do that, I would obvisouly still be looking for a job and if i did find one we would need to move again. So you can see why we don't want to be paying to move all our stuff around all these times when we are so uncertain of where we might end up. And that's not even mentioning how huge of a hassle it is to box things up, ge them to a Fed Ex and pick them up wherever you sent them. I think that pretty much covers it. Oh yeah...if anyone out there is in the market for a nice sturdy table with 4 matching chairs, a nice sturdy entetainment center, a couch with a nice couch cover, a bed with frame and box springs, or any number of pieces of furniture, we have or will have that for sale...

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Very wise to get rid of as much stuff as you can. Dan and I are starting to do that too- And yes craigslist is awesome! I posted two things the other day, had several offers that night and am getting rid of them today!

Cort said...

I concur that Craigslist is AWESOME and you can usually get rid of anything on that site. I call dibs on your cute red dining chairs...that is, only if no one has already made their claim.

Becky said...

Chase and I hope you move back to Utah!