Thursday, March 12, 2009

The West Wing

I decided I don't want to watch the addictive TV shows until they are done and all the seasons are out on DVD. One such show that I heard was really amazing and is done is The West Wing. Luckily Michelle and I have some friends that own the entire series and have been letting us borrow all of the seasons a couple at a time. Michelle and I watched the first few seasons together in their entirety but since I am on spring break right now I have had a lot more free time than her and have watched a lot without her. I have gotten pretty addicted to the show, it is really enterntaining. It is about the drama and tough choices that the president and his staff that work in the West Wing of the White House go through ona daily basis. It took me a while to get really into the show because it is more of an intellectual show than an action-packed show like 24 or a mystery like Lost. Its totally different than those shows. I have never worked in the White House so I really can't say for sure, but I feel like the show is realistic and based off of things that have and could happen. I know they have past White House assistants and even one of President Clinton's Press Secretaries working as consultants to help make the show realistic. A lot of stuff on the show goes over my head because I am not an expert on US foregin policy and there is a surprisingly large amount of US history stuff I don't know what they're talking about. Having sid that though I feel like I can understand a lot of what's going on because I have a bachelor's degree in Political Science and am on my way to a Master's Degree in Public Administration. One cool thing about the show is that they have mentioned the Maxwell School (the number one ranked MPA school in the country and where I happen to be attending) three times. Sometimes when somebody is visiting the White House to advise the President or something like that they introduce the person and they say he or she is a professor at or earned a degree from the Maxwell School. One of the characters on the show, Josh, is said to be based off of Rahm Emanuel, President Obama's Chief of Staff. Josh is a really nice guy though, and Emanuel I thought has a reputation of being more like a pitbull than a nice guy. So the whole time watching the show I haven't really known what they are basing that off of. In one episode everyone is talking about how before Josh worked at the White House he had sent some political rival a dead fish or something like that. I know that that is something that Emanuel did actually do in real life. That is the only thing I can think of that seems like a clear similarity. Maybe people just base the copmarison off of that and Josh wasn't actually based off of Emanuel.

No comments: