Sunday, September 15, 2013

Painting

I've never really thought art was one of my talents.  I draw stick figures if that gives you any idea.  Cara is an amazing artist. She has an incredible talent for drawing and painting. Brandt also does amazing drawings. I've always said that those 2 got the artistic talent in the family. However, when we moved to Idaho and I realized I was going to get the chance to live with Cara for a few months before she left on her mission, I asked her to teach me to do acrylic painting.  We've done 3 paintings - she always does the same one I'm doing and I watch her and try to do it (except the 2nd one).  My first few paintings have turned out a lot better than I ever expected. Cara and Brandt's talent is still leaps and bounds above mine, but I am learning and it has been a lot of fun. I've learned that I need to be more open to trying new things even if I don't think I will be very good at them.

This is the first painting I did.  I really struggled getting the technique down to blend the colors together, and there are some things I don't like about it like the leaves on the trees, but considering it was my first one I think it turned out pretty.



This is my second painting.  Cara said that doing a black and white painting would probably help me learn to blend better. She was right. I finally figured it out. I'm still not very good at it, but I can at least do it now. This painting isn't finished yet. I still need to add clouds to the sky and trees.  Cara didn't do one like this. She just helped me figure out what to do and then I worked on it on my own.

This computer is rotated correctly on the computer, but for some reason turns sideways when I upload it. I can't fix it!

This is my 3rd painting. Cara and I were really excited to do this one.  I think it is more my style - it has a different and less careful blending technique and then a lot of just dabbing the brush on the canvas.

Aaah, can't get this one to upload right either. I guess just turn your head to the side to look at it. It's hard to tell from the way it's turned, but it's a path through trees.


I really love painting and am hoping to get my own paint set soon so I can start doing and learning more. It's a lot of fun, and it has been a great activity for Cara and I to do together. 

Here is Mason doing some of his own painting with Daddy. Thanks Daddy!

This is an old practice painting of Cara's that Mason painted over. He did the red, blue, and white splotches. Some of the paint he put on the canvas himself and some I squeezed on the canvas and he smeared around.



4 comments:

Claire said...

Those look awesome Michelle!!

Natalie said...

These are awesome! I love painting with my babies too!

Chance said...

WOW! You've got a real hidden talent there. Wish we had seen it before you left VA!

Chad said...

Thanks for sharing! This makes me think there may be hope after all for me to develop some music talent - something I have never believed I possess.