Monday, September 9, 2013

The Way A Teaching Career Is Supposed To Be

I have been teaching Social Studies at my new school in my new school district here in Idaho for about a month now.  I learned many invaluable lessons about teaching and about life while working in Washington, D.C and I wouldn't trade the time that I spent out east with my family for anything, but I believe that my new job is the way a career in teaching is supposed to be.  I am not saying that there is something wrong with teaching in the District of Columbia Public Schools, just that I have found a much better fit for me.

I am loving everything about my new job.  I love the content matter that I teach (World History and U.S. History); I love my school administration and all of my assistant principals and principal; I love how respectful the students are and how fun they are to work with (not to mention the fact that they enjoy learning); I love that my school is 10 minutes from home and that I get to spend 2 more hours a day at home than I used to (I used to spend 2 hours commuting each day); I also just like the logistics of how this school works: the bell schedule, the hours, block periods, the way you request time off, the way you get a substitute to cover your class, and the list goes on and on.  I don't mean to say that my experiences in my prior teaching job were negative or that I didn't love these things out there too, but so far everything about my new job just feels like such a great fit for me.

It's a great feeling to look forward to going to work.

No comments: