Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beautiful Luray

Last weekend we took a trip to beautiful Luray, Virginia. I completed my third Triathlon there and we visited the Luray Caverns. The Triathlon was an Olympic (International) distance event. This is the same distance as the first Triathlon I competed in. I improved my overall time and performance in all three legs of the race (swimming, biking, and running), so I was very pleased with this. The swim was in the 80 degree water of Lake Arrowhead. It was so nice swimming in such warm water. I improved significantly in the swim portion which I was really happy about because I find that to be my overall weakest part of the sport of Triathlon. I finished the race -- which consisted of a 1500 meter swim (about .9 miles), a 26 mile bike ride, and a 6 mile run -- in 2 hours and 47 minutes. This was 4 minutes faster than the last Olympic distance Triathlon which means a lot since this was a much more difficult course.











After the Triathlon we visited Luray caverns. This place had been on our list of things to do for quite a while. Luray caverns is a huge underground cave with unimaginable stalactites and stalagmites. There is no way to describe these natural wonders. Pictures won't do justice either, but I will post some of them anyway. Overall, it was a fantastic way to end our summer.




No comments: