Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter Fun

On Friday night Chad and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2) with our good friends Mike and Chelsea. Since it was opening day, we thought it would be fun to dress up as characters in the movie. We considered several different characters - good and evil, and finally decided on the characters we could create with stuff from home.

I decided to be Bellatrix Lastrange. She is one of Volde****'s (don't say it!) side kicks, also known as a death eater. All of the death eaters have a special mark/tatoo which looks like a snake. Chad used eyeliner to draw one on my arm for me. I think he did a pretty good job! I put on all black clothes, black boots, and scary make-up. Then I scrunched my hair, ratted it a ton, and tied knots in the underlayers to make it even bigger and wilder, and of course found a wand (actually, it chose me).















Above on the left is a picture of the death eater tattoo. On the right is the "tatoo" Chad drew.






















Above on the left is Bellatrix from the movie, on the right is my creation.














Pretty scary looking I think!


Chad decided to be Mad Eye Moody, who was one of the good guys - a teacher at Hogwarts and an important member of The Order of the Phoenix (group who fought to destroy the death eaters). Yeah, things got a little tense around here Friday night! For Chad's costume I took apart some old swimming goggles, painted an eye on one side, and tied it around Chad's head with some brown ribbon. Chad wore his huge black trench coat from his brother and styled his hear like Mad-Eye Moody's to complete the costume. And of course, a wand chose him as well.


















Above on the left is Mad Eye Moody from the movie. On the right is Chad's Version.


















I wouldn't want to get in a fight with him!


Chelsea dressed up too. Here's the three of us waiting in line at the theater.


Chad and I battling it out with our wands - good against evil, Order of the Phoenix against the Death Eaters. Who will ultimately prevail? Watch the movie to find out!

I wasn't sure if it would be obvious to onlookers who I was, so I was excited when a little girl walked past me at the theater and excitedly said, "Bellatrix!" It made my night! Although, watching Bellatrix in the movie made me wish my character wasn't so awful in the evil, whinny, stupid sense. Someone in the parking lot also called Chad mad-eye moody so they knew who he was as well. I guess our costumes were pretty successful and we had a lot of fun!

By the way, we enjoyed the movie and think it was the best Harry Potter Movie of them all.

3 comments:

Chance said...

wow, very cool! Y'all did a great job with those costumes!

Becky said...

WOW! You two are hard core!! We saw it Saturday night and thought it was very well done; specifically, special effects and script. We thought it would be fun to watch P1 and P2 when it comes out on DVD.

Chelsea said...

Your costumes were definitely the best! We were sooo impressed and thanks so much for coming with us! We had so much fun! I think that it was the best movie too.