Saturday, July 16, 2011

SouthEast D.C.

Michelle and I spent a lovely day in a part of the nation's capital that we didn't know too well, the SouthEast quadrant of D.C. Washington, D.C. is divided into four parts and this is probably the one that we have visited the least. In our quest to get to know our nation's capital and see all the sites, we made a list of places to visit in this part of D.C. This is what we saw:



Frederick Douglas Historic Site





Frederick Douglas was an amazing, inspiring man. We first visited the visitor's center and then got to go on a tour of his house here in Washington, D.C. He owned a huge, beautiful house. The house was full of mostly original artifacts and furniture. My favorite piece of furniture was the coat rack made of some animal's horns.





Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum




I will need to to double-check to be 100% certain, but I believe that after our visit to this museum we have now been to all of the Smithsonian Museums in D.C. (and research facilities if you include the national zoo). This was a very small museum, dedicated to the history of the Anacostia community and the African influence there. This museum was really small and it would be hard to recommend making a trip out to that area just to see this museum (unless you're on a quest to see and do everything in D.C. like us); the only reason I would mention this is because I am really glad they are going to be making a much larger museum on the National Mall dedicated to African American history. I think this museum will do more justice to the important things we saw and learned about at the Anacostia museum.




Fort Dupont Park



Fort Dupont was a Civil War fort, but today nothing of that fort is still there. Instead, it is just a huge beautiful park. This is yet another example of how D.C. has gorgeous parks and forests nestled into what is otherwise a completely urban setting (like Rock Creek Park). Michelle and I went on a short walk on one of the trails at Fort Dupont Park. Even though we didn't do too much here, we are glad we went because it is definitely a good place to know about if you want to go on a nature hike, have a picnic, barbecue, or play sports.

No comments: