I had SO MUCH fun doing this! All I have been thinking about since I finished was when my next Triathlon will be and that hopefully I can move up to the next step up in distance (the half Ironman or 'Ironman 70.3' as they are often called).
Let me give you a quick break down of each of the three parts and then lots of pictures and videos:
Swimming
The water was cold: 68 degrees. I rented a wetsuit and its a good thing I did. It was also windy, raining, and cloudy. This resulted in choppy lake conditions that were very difficult to swim in. I got disoriented easily in the water, and had to alter my stroke to be able to keep my head above water more than I normally would. I managed to finish the 1500 meters in 36 minutes.
Biking
Biking is definitely my strength in the sport of Triathlon. I did the 24 mile bike ride in 70 minutes. I passed a lot of people that finished the swimming before me. I pushed myself about as hard as I ever have biking, and I pretty much went full speed ahead the entire time without slowing down. It was a fantastic good time, it was pure enjoyment the whole ride.
Running
This was the big question mark going into the Triathlon. The farthest I had run in the last 2 years was 3 miles (since I injured my leg in 2009). I had to run 6.2 miles in this Triathlon and I didn't know if I was going to have to walk most or all of it or what? When I left the transition area my leg felt fine and I just started running and never stopped! It was very encouraging that I was able to run the 10k without stopping and that my legs are fine. This gives me lots of hope and encouragement moving forward to the next step up.
Me waving to Michelle moments before the race started.
The Transition area where everyone's biking and running equipment are set up and ready for transitioning from swimming to biking and from biking to running.
Walking my bike out of the transition area and up a hill. We were allowed to get on the bike at the top of the hill.
This picture is after the 24 mile bike ride. I am walking my bike down the hill now and back into the transition area to get ready to run.
The beginning of the 10k run. You can see the timing chip around my ankle that is used to time each portion of the race.
All in all, I honestly had the time of my life. I cannot wait to do another Triathlon event. The atmosphere is so much fun to be in, and it was a great feeling to have Michelle cheering me on as I started and finished each of the three phases. I feel lucky to have a wife that supports me in this sport, as it requires some traveling and buying lots of gear for the swimming, biking, and running.
3 comments:
Chad did AMAZING in this race! I am so proud of him and all of his hard work! He did each of the phases so fast! He finished the biking section so much quicker than I guessed. My camera was still in my pocket and I was not ready for him to be riding in. Luckily, I glanced up from talking to Amber just in time to see him. He also did the running part a lot faster than I expected and was at the finish line before I knew it. He did the entire triathlon in 2 hours and 51 minutes. He really did a great job and it was so much fun to watch him start and finish each of the sections. Congratulations again Chad! You're my favorite triathlete!
Hello! Remember me?
Chad, you would get along so well with my husband- he just ran a marathon and also mountain bikes all the time- he doesn't have a road bike YET, but would love to do a half ironman and maybe someday a full. Your race looks fun! Good job!!!
Post a Comment