I signed up for a Triathlon this week called the 'Rumpus in Bumpass.' I am so glad it is called that--what a funny name! Michelle helped me find this Triathlon, and I signed up for it almost right away. Since I did a 100 mile bike ride a couple weeks ago, I have been trying to find something like this to keep myself working hard and have a goal in mind (such as a Triathlon to train for).
The Rumpus in Bumpass is pretty much the perfect Triathlon for me. It is on a Saturday (a HUGE plus, very hard to find), it is here in Virginia only 84 miles away, it is cheap (I signed up and got the early discount, and since it is a small event it is literally half the cost of other big name events).
I am signed up for the International distance Triathlon, aka the Olympic distance. I will start out by swimming 1500 meters (0.9 miles), biking 40 kilometers (25 miles), and run 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). My Triathlon is April 16th, which is on the first weekend of our Spring Break. I am so excited for this.
In addition to biking in to work and going for long rides on the weekends, I have started to go to indoor aquatic centers in DC near where I work to swim laps. I am going to try to go swimming twice a week in preparation for the Triathlon. I swam a mile yesterday, which is 1600 meters (a little over the distance in the Triathlon) and I timed myself. It took me 46 minutes. No world record there obviously, but I think I will be able to shave at least 5 or 10 minutes off of that over the next 2 months. I am least worried about the biking, since I usually bike more miles in my daily round trip commute to work than are in the Triathlon. The running part could be a challenge as I haven't been running at all lately, but I could always just walk it if I had to. But either way I am not really worried at all about how long it takes me to finish the Triathlon. This is my first one, and really I am just going to concentrate on finishing and having fun.
Total miles biked this week: 133
Total miles swam this week: 2
Anyone interested in joining me at the 'Rumpus in Bumpass?' Here is the link:
http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1689
1 comment:
GO Chad - You're awesome
Post a Comment