About two weeks ago I returned my bike to Costco (thanks Costco for having the greatest return policy EVER!!!) and then went and bought a little bit nicer bike, one that is more suited to long distanc biking. It is almost a rode-bike, you might call it a hybrid or an entry level rode bike. Whatever it is, I like it! It is much lighter than my old one, it has much thinner tires, and a lot of aspects of it are much better.
In part due to having a better bike and in part due to just building up my strenght and endurance, I have been able to ride in to work and back home three times a week for the past two weeks. I do it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to give some time for my legs to recover. It is a 28 mile round with some moderate changes in elevation so I would say that it is a somewhat challenging bike ride. I was so happy when I rode in three times in one week for the first time, I was on top of the world that day. I dubbed this achievement the 'Triple Crown.' And if I ever ride in 4 times in a week I will call it the 'Grand Slam.' My legs are getting much stronger and my endurance is improving as well. It is seriosly a great work out and I love the days that I get to ride in, I just feel really good about it for a few reasons: the exercise, not wasting so much time stuck in traffic or sitting in a ssubway car, and all the MONEY I am saving. With the latest incresases of fare charges with DC's Metro system my round trip to and from work would be $8.70. This has helped motivate me to ride the Metro as little as possible, and inversely to ride my bike to work as much as humanly possible. Stretching out a lot after each bike ride really helps a lot. My legs don't hurt if I stretch out a lot, they just get sore. Ever since I got IT Band Syndrome when I ran 11 miles last year I have had to make sure I don't push myself too hard too quickly in running and biking.
All of the pictures are pictures that I took with my new 4th Generation Ipod Touch during a ride home from work. As you can see, I get to ride in some cool areas. It is nice to be in the naturey areas for most of the ride. Passing the famous monuments is fun too!
2 comments:
I must admit, I am a bit jealous of that commute. Quite a scenic ride!
Chad really does love riding his bike and hate the metro. He loves riding so much that he rode to school in the rain yesterday and was soaked by the time he got to school. He knew this would happen and he was still so glad he rode in. I'm really glad Chad gets to ride in so often. He really is in great shape now. You should see his leg muscles!
I'm rooting for your grand slam ride, Chad! Maybe next week?
Post a Comment