Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Becoming a 'Licensed' History Teacher

A couple weeks ago I officially received my teaching certification in World and U.S. History.  I have actually been teaching these classes for a year and a half already but it was sort of on an interim license.  I held a teaching endorsement in a related field so the Idaho State Department of Education didn’t make me go back to school and take any additional classes or anything like that, I basically just needed to pass the World and U.S. History Praxis exam and get observed teaching a few times.  I studied really hard for quite a long time, basically studying the history of the world and the entire history of the U.S. to be prepared for this exam.  The test was no joke, I had to really think hard about the questions and rely on what I knew about certain civilizations to help me shed light on other topics I didn’t know the answer to in order to make sure I got a good score.  Luckily, my hard work paid off and I not only passed the exam last year, but am now – finally! – an officially certified History teacher.   

No comments: