I am writing this post to let everyone know that Michelle, in my unbiased opinion as her husband, was the Teacher Of The Year. We only have a little more than a week left in our first year of teaching and it has been an amazing experience! We have both grown so much and are really looking forward to implementing everything we have learned next year (after a relaxing and fun summer break of course, did I mention that we are going to Peru for two weeks in July?). I have broken down the reasons into several sections why I have awarded her the Teacher Of The Year award.
Results:
Michelle's class as a whole grew over 2 years worth of reading levels in the one year she has been teaching them. Although only going into second grade, some of her students are at a 4th grade reading level. In terms of math, the class as a whole mastered 81% of all first grade math standards. As a teacher, I can tell you that the feats she accomplished in reading and math are very impressive!
Going the Extra Mile:
As a teacher, Michelle consistently went the extra mile to come up with creative lessons to help her students comprehend difficult concepts. Just to name a few, she dressed up as a detective to teach her students how to 'investigate' math problems where you had to figure out the value of a variable. The kids loved the idea of being math detectives so much that Michelle made them each their own badge. This is hard stuff for first graders, but Michelle's creative idea paid off! Michelle happened to get observed the day of that lesson, and the person observing her applauded her excellent idea and told her that it was a fantastic lesson. To teach her kids about chemical reactions and baking, she brought in enough ingredients and supplies for every kid to make their own home made ice cream in class. The lesson went very well and one student even said to Michelle, "This is the best day of my life!" Also, Michelle has organized some very exciting field trips that have helped students synthesize first-hand the things they have learned in the classroom. On one occasion, to help a student who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford to go, Michelle paid a student's fair on the field trip but only told the student's mother that she had 'arranged for the child to get in for free.' Let me tell you that these few examples are only the tip of the ice berg in regards to how Michelle has truly gone the extra mile as a teacher. What Michelle has done is above and beyond what would be required or even reasonably expected out of any teacher.
Dedication:
As her husband, I know first-hand how dedicated Michelle is to being a teacher. In addition to working full-time, she is attending grad school and earning a master's degree in teaching. She will earn her master's degree in only two years despite working full-time the entire time. She has grad school class two nights a week right now. She also puts in many hours planning, making phone calls to parents, grading quizzes and tests and homework assignments, creating worksheets and handouts, completing grad school assignments, fulfilling Teach For America responsibilities, coming up with her creative lessons, and so much more. On top of all this she still finds the time to be an amazing wife and spend time with me and her friends. I truly beleive there is nothing she can't do; in fact, I beleive she could be president someday if she wanted to! The last thing I will say about her dedication, even though I could write so much more, is that she does it all for the right reasons. There is no overtime pay for teachers. She does everything she does because her students deserve it. When I ask her why she is doing something that creates so much extra work for her, she responds that her students deserve it and that it is the right thing to do. She has often times stated how she wants to do everything possible to make her students ready for the next grade level. Michelle never cuts corners, she does what is right for her students each and every time and in every thing.
She Cares:
This last category is kind of an intangible or an 'X-Factor' type of thing. As described above, Michelle really cares about her students and does what she does because it is the right thing to do. This has paid off. Her students love her. I won't go into too many specifics on this one but I know that her students appreciate what she does and there have been many rewarding moments for Michelle as a teacher. Her students have all grown tremendously and they really love Michelle.
For these reasons, and many others that I cannot possibly list here, Michelle is awarded by me the Teacher of the Year award. Congratulations Michelle, you truly deserve it!
3 comments:
Here here! That is so much work doing grad school and teaching at the same time! You guys deserve a niiice vacation!
I completely agree. I would even say you forgot one big thing. You guys teach in DCPS. It's not like she's teaching in a location where she would get the recognition she truly deserves. They make movies about teachers like Michelle. Maybe they'll make one about her some day. The only person thin enough to play her though is Dakota Fanning. I think it could work!
I'm impressed... by both of you! You've almost made it through the first year. Can't wait to see you guys in a few days!
Post a Comment