Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Days I and II/Snowpocalypse Update

The last few days have been a little crazy because of the record-breaking snowstorm dubbed 'Snowpocalypse.' The storm was so bad that the school district Michelle and I work for, DCPS, has had to cancel school yesterday and today (Monday and Tuesday). It is extremely rare for DCPS to declare a snow day so that should give you an idea of how bad of shape this area of the country is in right now. Michelle and I and a group of friends were crazy enough to go out to the movies last night and see what the roads are like right now. Some roads are very bad, others are pretty much fine. There is still so much snow on the roads in some places that I cannot foresee this city getting up and running like normal for quite a long time. The temperatures are just not warm enough to melt the snow and ice and the DC metropolitan area is not equipped to plow and salt on scale this large. If it did not snow anymore, I would say maybe by the end of the week life would return to normal...but unfortunately it is going to snow again today. In fact it is supposed to snow up to 20 inches again. If it does indeed snow that much more I don't see how we could be going back to work anytime soon. There are so many roads that are still in awful conditiom; there are so many cars still totally buried in snow and barricaded by walls of snow from the snow plows; things are a mess. In the meantime Michelle and I are having a great time hanging out with all our friends here in our apartment complex! We are lucky enough to live in an apartment complex with a ton of friends. Pretty much everyone's work is canceled so we have all just been playing games and hanging out all day and staying up late because nobody has to work the enxt day :) It has been a really fun time! We have used up all our snow days now though so if they cancel anymore school days after today we will probably have to make them up somehow. Here are some pictures and video of the aftermath of snowpocalypse. If it snows anotrher couple of feet today I will be sure and put some pictures up of the madness.


No comments: